This database contains information transcribed from birth records for various towns in Belarus for various years between 1837 and 1917. For a complete list of towns and years covered in this database, see below.
These records were originally created by the Jewish Congregations of the various towns where the records were recorded.
Each birth record contains the following information:
- LDS film number
- Frame number: the frame number from the CD created by the LDS for the Belarus SIG
- Record number: A letter (M for masculine, F for feminine) followed by the original act registration number
- Surname: Transliterated from Russian. If you see two surnames, the second one is transliterated from Hebrew.
- Give Name
- Father: Father's given name
- Paternal grandfather: Translated from Russian as father's "otchestvo" - father's given name
- Mother: Mother's first name
- Maternal grandfather: Translated from Russian as mother's "otchestvo" - father's given name
- Mother's maiden name: mostly not shown in the records
- Date of birth according to Christian and Hebrew calendars
- Birthplace: Town, Uyezd (district), Guberniya (province)
- Place of registration: Most births were registered in the town they occurred in. However, some births were registered in different towns than the actual birth
- Comments: Mohel/rabbi names for boys circumcision, translators notes, a place different from the registration one, any other information found concerning the record.
- Record/Publication: The year of the birth registration from the original registration books
- Archive/Fond/List/Item: NHAB (meaning the National Historic Archives of Belarus (Minsk)), followed by the fond, list, and item numbers.
Towns and Years Included:
|Year||Number of Records|