- The National Archives (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO) FO 83/21-22 Lists of aliens arriving at English ports.
- The National Archives (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO) HO 2 Home Office: Aliens Act 1836: Certificates of Arrival of Aliens.
- The National Archives (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO) HO 3 Home Office: Aliens Act 1836: Returns and Papers.
- The National Archives (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO) CUST 102/393-395 Account of aliens arriving: certificates of arrival numbers 1-1055.
- The National Archives (TNA): Public Record Office (PRO) CUST 102/396 Account of aliens arriving, Gravesend: certificates of arrival.
Data imaged from the National Archives, London, England. The National Archives gives no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for the purpose of the information provided. Images may be used only for purposes of research, private study or education. Applications for any other use should be made to the National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU. Infringement of the above condition may result in legal action.
This data collection contains lists of aliens (non-British citizens) arriving in England between 1810 and 1869. The records come from the following National Archives collection series. These records were primarily created as a result of various acts passed by parliament to regulate immigrants and other incoming individuals.
- FO 83/21-22: Lists of aliens arriving at English ports, August 1810-May 1811; 2 volumes of original lists created under an act passed in 1793 “for establishing regulations respecting Aliens arriving at this Kingdom, or resident therein, in certain cases”
- HO 2: Certificates of alien arrivals, 1836-1852; 236 volumes of original certificates arranged by port of arrival
- HO 3: Returns of alien passengers, July 1836-December 1869 (with a gap from January 1861 to December 1866); returns made of alien passengers on ships arriving at British ports as required by the Aliens Act, beginning in 1836; formerly known as Lists of Immigrants; also includes some papers on the drafting of the Act, its administration, and proposals for its revision
- CUST 102/393-396 Accounts of aliens arriving at London (July-November 1826) and Gravesend (October 1826-August 1837); arranged by certificate of arrival number
The exact information recorded in each collection varies, but generally the following type of information is listed:
- Name of alien
- Port of arrival
- Date of arrival
- Country of origin, nativity, and/or nationality
- Certificate number